Children Helpline (CH) 116111 was established on February 1, 2006 with the aim to give a psychological help to children and teenagers who are in difficult situations. This goal – to hear out children and teenagers, learning them to speak about themselves and trust others – is still the most important work of the CH.
CH is one of the structural units of the State children rights protection inspectorate because it is every child’s right to get advice how to act in a difficult situations or support children having problems and difficulties. In the very beginning the goal of the more than 10 CH working psychologists was to gain the children’s trust. At the present moment the amount of the received calls draws to a conclusion that it has been successful. During the first working year until February 1, 2007 CH received more than 309 000 calls.
Almost every day CH receives more than thousand of calls where children of varied age ask for help or simply want to have a talk, rarely those are adults who would like to comprehend their children or grandchildren. Therefore, psychologists should manage and should be capable to speak with a different people about different issues, amongst which the most common are relations in the school, relations with parents, brothers and sisters, relations between boys and girls. However, psychologists frequently should know what to say in the unusual but difficult situations, for instance what to do in a case if one should leave a home, but his little sister stays at home and she is not capable of taking care of herself.
Children and teenagers can call CH on working days from 8.00 AM - 11.00 PM, as well as on Saturdays from 8.00 AM – 10.00 PM and Sundays from 10.00 AM - 8.00. PM. CH is a free of charge from fixed lines and mobile phones.
Frequently Asked Questions by Your equals in age:
What to do if….
- ... parents are arguing, beat each other. Is it because of me?
- ... one of a family members offends or beats me?
- ... parents divorcing? Is it my fault? Can I help them?
- ... one of a family members drinks an alcohol or uses drugs or gambles?
- ... one of a family members went to foreign countries?
- ... would like to take a boy’s or a girl’s fancy?
- ... my boyfriend or girlfriend is breaking up with me? Am I not appreciated and disgraced?
- ... my boyfriend (girlfriend), one of a family members, person in school or a stranger harasses me?
- ... I have been sexually abused?
- ... quarreled with one of my closest friends?
- ... would like to consider sexual hygiene and avoid pregnancy?
- ... suspicion of existing pregnancy?
- ... seem ugly to myself?
- ... have been miscalled, slandered, ridiculed, pushed or beaten up in school or elsewhere?
- ... feeling lonesome and bored at the school and at home?
Each month Children Helpline 116111 receives call from a thousands of children and teenagers and each of them has his/her own question. It is comprehensible, if Your question is different from those listed above, because the situation of everyone in life is different. Even if You found the answer to Your question You should feel free to call and be heard out, not only to read the answers. Therefore, if You would like someone to speak to You then You can call Toll Free Children’s and Teenagers Helpline 116111 where the professional psychologists will talk to You.